Hospital Wing’s nursing staff consists of 1 chief flight nurse and 22 flight nurses.
The requirements to be a Hospital Wing Flight Nurse are:
- A minimum of 5 years critical care experience
- ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support)
- PALS (Pediatric Advanced Life Support)
- PHTLS (Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support) or TNCC
- CEN, CCRN, or CFRN
- EMT certified
- NRP (Neonatal Resuscitation Program) within 6 months of hire
- Must maintain weight of 220 lbs or less
Once hired at Hospital Wing, new crew members go through vigorous orientation lasting approximately 3 months. Orientation includes two weeks of initial classroom training followed by hospital clinical rotations, cadaver lab training, simulated flights, and multiple 3rd party flight shifts with an assigned preceptor. The flight crew at Hospital Wing are trained in advanced procedures and transport many types of patients: trauma, cardiac (including balloon pumps), pediatric, neuro, burn, and other types of medical patients.